Six Lists of Six for this Music Monday. These are my favorites, not necessarily what I would argue as best of all time or whatever. Also, I could easily change the order for some of these, or add/subtract from these lists at any point in the day depending on what I’m listening to… but for today:
Best Dead Years:
- 1974 –
- 1973 –
- 1981 – This is a surprise move. 81 dead has grown exponentially in my listening as of late. It’s Brent before he was too Brent. That Lost Sailor -> Saint… and Jerry’s voice on Stella!
- 1978 – Shakedown!
Best Venues I’ve seen shows:
- Red Rocks – duh
- The Wiltern Theater in L.A.
- Riverside Theater in MKE
- Township in Cola: Not the prettiest, but always rowdy
- Whatever the amphitheater in St. Augustine is called. Very cool.
- Civic Center — because Asheville
My fav/most listened to rap/hip-hop albums
- ATLiens – Outkast
- Aquemeni – Outkast
- Liquid Swords – GZA
- Low End Theory -Tribe
- Licensed to Ill – Beasties
- The Score – Fugees
Favorite Broadway shows I’ve seen:
- Les Miserables – it’s gospel to me
- Lion King – same
- Hamilton –
- Phantom of the Opera
- JC Superstar (this one may be higher, but Sarah didn’t like it so much first time; was supposed to see it in 2020 with Sam)
- Miss Saigon
Best Non jam type band concerts I’ve seen:
- Avett Brothers
- Jason Isbell
- Natalie Merchant
- Mandolin Orange -their music is gold, I just wish they would mix it up a bit and play longer live.
- James Taylor
- Tracy Chapman
Albums on a desert island — or my back deck which is increasingly the same thing. Also, assuming I’d have a few streaming apps to play Dead, Panic, Phish, and Dave. Cheating, I know, but they’re my lists:
- Legend -Bob Marley
- Freedom in the Groove – Joshua Redman
- Southeastern – Isbell
- Willie Nelson sings Kris Kristofferson — (wild to not name Red Headed Stranger here, but this album is magic)
- TigerLily – Natalie Merchant
- Haste Makes/Hard Hearted — Mandolin Orange